Thursday, July 21, 2011

So much for that peace...

Well, it appeared to be a peaceful morning - birds chirping, Jon off to work, people thinking it was safe. Then, the pops of tear gas canisters, smoke in the distance, and two calls in quick succession:

1. From my Malawi boss: "Stay home. Trouble around town"
2. From my non-local NGO boss: "Pack a bag - just in case"

So, as I pause to write this out, I hear that gangs are gathering around town, sirens in the not-so-distance, people are running from the center of town up our relatively calm street. Some more stores have been looted, including several banks, and rumors of worse incidents abound. This is really not very good.

So, off I go to pack my and Jon's bag -- passports, money, and some changes of clothes.

More as it comes in. Hopefully, it will be calmer as the day goes on. Hopefully.

UPDATE: Jon just home after going to work for a few minutes. Streets were still clear of traffic, but crowded with walkers on their way home. Glad that we are both home, packed, and ready to see what happens, together.

1 comment:

  1. Stay safe, let us know if there is anything we can do.

    ReplyDelete