Saturday, April 17, 2010

Yes, I will answer to the name, “Cow.”

Today, President Bingu wa Mutharika is getting married! As the celebration is right down the road, I walked down a few minutes ago just in time to see the groom’s pre-wedding car (and ~30 accompanying vehicles) enter the grounds. I snapped a quick photo of the car – festooned with ribbons and traditional cloth created with the couple’s photo. The streets around Lilongwe (at least the ones for his procession) are newly tarred, blooming flowers line the road, trash is cleaned up, and it looks lovely. It also likely cost a small fortune for Malawi, but everyone likes a party with an international who’s who of politicians and dignitaries. I saw license plates from as far as Rwanda, a multi-day drive, and I saw Robert Mugabe's motorcade pass as well. Obviously, I was not invited; instead, I am a shut-in for the morning due to traffic and security.

Almost two weeks in, and as you would expect, my Chichewa pronunciation is deplorable (but hopefully improving). I am sure that people find my current attempts at greetings and repeating people’s names amusing. In response, I feel only slightly guilty for commenting about some people’s difficulties trying to say my name. For context, the letters “R” and “L” are pronounced similarly and often written interchangeably by many Malawians (immature expats smirk when recalling news of the election on the radio or TV). So, here I must answer to a name that sounds, most unfortunately, like they are calling me “Cow.” You can imagine the impact on my self esteem. Moo.

Despite my newly-acquired bovine status, work is going well. I’ve been shadowing coordinators and department directors learning about Lighthouse’s testing, treatment, and care programs for HIV and TB. It is incredible to briefly observe what these professionals encounter repeatedly every day. For instance, I sat in on an afternoon with a nurse during follow-up ART (anti-retroviral therapy) visits. These typically-quick visits are used to resupply individuals with their meds, verify pill counts to gauge adherence, and inquire about side-effects. She saw over 20 patients the first hour: 3 children under age 6; 5 adolescent girls; 1 teenage boy; and adult men and women of all ages. Complicated cases were referred to an on-site clinician (equivalent to a physician assistant). By the time the 4th young girl, age 14, walked in, I thought I would cry. It is not that I don’t know about the high HIV prevalence among adolescent girls (up to 5x the rate for adolescent boys), it’s just the overwhelming difference between reading the statistics and seeing the individual faces. To cover my face for a moment, and suck back tears, I glanced at one young woman’s chart: she tested HIV+ at age 16, already at WHO stage 4 (translated: fairly close to death) and weighing 28kg. Now, 3 years later, she is asymptomatic, 58kg, and looks beautifully healthy. The miracle of ART!!! For another much-needed dose of optimism, you should read about one of Lighthouse’s most amazing accomplishments: the adoption of an electronic data system (which we still can’t do in the States) . It makes me feel very lucky to be a part of this place.

4 comments:

  1. I work on the data side of HIV prevention, so I can imagine that it would be quite a change to work with people face to face! In general, how is the ART adherence in your area? (As someone who studies HIV drug resistance, this is of particular interest to me!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Among ART patients at the Lighthouse clinic, about 75% are adherent and do not miss appointments by more than 3 weeks. I think that seems pretty good, with a lot of room for improvement. Plus, our clinic is likely higher than most others. We are actually just starting an ART resistance study among those 25% who missed appointments and were off ART for between 3 weeks and 1 year. As they were brought back to care, they were tested for resistant strains and ART failure on first line drugs. The study finished in March, so I am here just in time for analysis. I'll let you know. I'm excited to find out too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I'll be interested to hear more about it! I've heard that ART use can be difficult for patients in Africa, for various reasons. The first journal article from the young U.S. HIVDR surveillance program is just about to be published, and it puts resistance at about 15% here. (Here is the abstract, available ahead of print.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was curious to see a study of DOTS for ART showed that it did not significantly help adherence.

    ReplyDelete