Friday, April 23, 2010

Tea break anyone?


I am pleased to announce the arrival of a real African café, The Afri-CAN Café! It arrived on the back of a trailer just 2 nights ago, and now it sits on the hospital grounds, serendipitously placed right in front of my Lighthouse office. It is an incredible example of re-purposed materials: a shipping container refitted with a laminate floor, metal chairs and tables, and a small oven. At the end of the day, they just pull back up the sides, and it’s secure for the night. Delicious muffins and scones, with less than stellar instant coffee, make for a great break in the day. The muffins are affordable: about $0.50 a piece. Instant coffee: $0.75; instant coffee with instant milk: $1. Sadly, I have yet to see any actual Africans there, but I assume that the hordes of international doctors, students, and visitors will move on, allowing the locals to sample the tasty treats. My treat for any visitors!

1 comment:

  1. I would imagine that they'll need to drop their prices significantly before any actual Malawians show up -- an instant coffee is now priced somewhere around 3 days of average per capita income!

    ReplyDelete