Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Just kidding: Demonstrations OFF for August 17th

Ah, Malawi. You are an odd bird. The demonstrations planned for tomorrow are off.

The organizers of the "vigil" noted that they did not postpone the even because of strong(armed) condemnations and threats from the government. No. They said that they are postponing them this time because of the court injunctions filed against them and because the UN is going to mediate between them and the government entities. I think that they are also afraid of more bloodshed and mayhem. I don't know how to decipher it all, but I do know this: if I were Malawian, I think that I would still be in the streets tomorrow.

And, just in case others feel the same, I am still packing my bag tonight and staying home tomorrow. Call it my own peaceful protest.

No comments:

Post a Comment