Sunday, June 12, 2011

Smile!

14 months ago, my Carrboro-based dentist gave me two cartons of airline-approved-size toothpaste to bring to Malawi. He told me to use them if all the available toothpaste brands here were made in, or imported from, suspicious places where key ingredients would be something like sand or poison. Surprisingly, we can get Colgate and AquaFresh here, so what to do with the 100 tubes?

Donate to the local orphanage! Although I am certain they would have preferred meat or toys (or new mattresses or parents), the kids seemed really excited (interested?) about the donation. I don't know if they knew what the cartons actually contained, but they recognized the peanut butter tub that I brought with it.

Unlike what some would imagine, this orphanage was a pretty happy place with smiling kids and clean grounds. I don't think that we will be leaving with a new 8-year-old adopted daughter, but I bet those kids could use a few more people bringing by some food, books, or a soccer ball. Check out those smiles (ok: really more like stares, but I swear many were smiling before I brought out the camera)! Veronica and I were only there for a few minutes, but I think we might be back. If we can foster 3 dogs, we can certainly provide some extra food for 60 kids, right? Dog food for 3 dogs and people food for 60 are about the same price...make of that what you will.

No comments:

Post a Comment