Thursday, August 12, 2010

On a terrible, horrible, day...and a few silver linings

Today, Laura left. We had a fantastic time doing everything and nothing, which is the recipe for a perfect visit. Of course, shortly before she left, her taxi to the airport canceled. Twice. I guess she could not leave without one final dose of Malawi Madness. Both times, I found a replacement while in meetings and teaching my class. Everyone else answers their cell phones at any given time (and I usually detest it). Today was a great day for double standards. She made it off without another hitch (or she has not returned, so I assume she left). Sprinkled around my house were little love notes from her to brighten my otherwise quieter, sadder house.

Today, Sapato also left. I tried not to cry, but I did use Tomato twice to wipe my nose and eyes. She didn't seem to mind. Sapato left for a wonderful Dutch family with 3 kids, all of whom doted on her when they came to pick her up. I think she will be fine. I am not quite sure how Tomato will do, but I am also not sure that she noticed yet. I, however, am now double sad. Tomato is too, I think. As a foster dog mom, I'll be doing this again and again. Worth it? Time will tell. Zebra (a new puppy to me) arrives on Sunday. Photos to follow.

Today, my washing machine also exploded. I am trying to clean the house, wash sheets, and generally make the place nice. I put in the first of what I thought would be several loads and walked into the back of the house. 15 minutes later: a wading pool! Right in my very own kitchen!!! Now, is there a drain? No. Is there a slant to the kitchen the makes the water collect in the back corner furthest from the door? Yes! 30 minutes with a broom later, the Katrina effect is over. Now, everything is just damp. Lovely.

Today, however, is also the day before Jon arrives. Hallelujah! I am sure he will tell you about his adventures getting here (which I will save for him), but he is definitely getting a trial by fire. He is, however, on his way, and I am overwhelmingly happy. And stressed. And just a tad nervous. Will he love it here? Will he find the jarring, alarming, schizophrenic character of life in Malawi somehow seductive, as I do? Will he love the markets, the mountains, and the kindness of Malawian people like I do? Only time will tell. The clock is ticking: he arrives in about 19 hours, 17 minutes, and 6 seconds. Not that I am counting...

1 comment:

  1. I'm sure he'll love it. Hopefully he brought a furby so he can start building up his entourage. You should get him some unhealthy snacks, he loves that crap. Mike

    ReplyDelete