Sunday, June 6, 2010

Closing a chapter: bye bye Carrboro!

Recession, be damned! I completed the sale of my house and car last week, and I am officially free of my financial tethers to the USA. It is an odd feeling: my sweet Carrboro townhouse and loved (dented) Civic with new owners. So many memories created in the house – all the fabulous roommates (Karie, Jill, Athena, Carla) and the not so great (the German whats-his-name); dinner parties with friends; girls nights; Whispering Hills winos; tearful fits of anti-academia; being part of the Carrboro community; hanging out with Red dog, etc. And, goodbye to my little Car that Could (and that I rarely drove until I met Jon and had to schlep to Durham). In the end, the process was so simple, so sterile, it was as if the last 4 years were erased with a few strokes of the pen. With their sale, I will be able to pay off some loans and buy some of the important things that I need here: fridge, stove, car, furniture. Thanks also to my folks who had to do the bulk of the home sale without me in country and to Jon and Danielle for dealing with my house, including the unfortunate break-in during the contract period. I think it is also appropriate to note that Barry Slobin at My Dog Tess was an incredible asset and went above and beyond his job as my realtor – I swear he deserves more than his commission!

Well, Carrboro, it was a fun run while it lasted. I guess now I am really here. I really should get on that house rental…

No comments:

Post a Comment